Wesley Medical Center Wichita, KS
Critical Care Building
This major expansion and renovation project for the teaching facility affiliated with the University of Kansas School of Medicine, was completed nine months ahead of schedule. The project is the implementation of the second phase of a master plan developed by the Gould Turner Group for the facility. The four-story, 185,000 square foot facility houses intensive care units for surgery, cardiac, and medical patients. Individual waiting rooms and private consultation areas are located on each floor, with window walls overlooking the interior courtyard. Seventy-eight private patient rooms are equipped with stateof- the-art technology.
Outpatient services for radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and wound care are located on the first floor, easily accessible from the new adjacent parking area. A new hyperbaric chamber was added to the hospital, and what was a fragmented imaging department, was unified by bringing together diagnostic imaging, ultrasound, CT scan, nuclear medicine and angiography in one central convenient location. This project centralized Imaging services, including diagnostic radiology, ultrasound, CT scan, nuclear medicine, and angiography, on the first floor for patient convenience.
The entrance from the interior courtyard features ornamental stone salvaged to Huston Hall, former home of the Wesley School of Nursing which was located on the site of the new critical care building. School alumni raised over $42,000 for a brick courtyard walkway memorializing graduates of the three-year program from the School's inception in 1915 until its closure in 1982.
Photography by Creative Sources Photography, Inc.